Monday, December 28, 2009

Cricket and buses



Christmas Day was a bit uneventful - went into work and played UNO and watched a bit of a movie, then went out to dinner down the road with the other volunteers. Secret Santa was pretty cute though, had a tiny tree for our gifts and I got popcorn (which I ate yesterday with Simone watching Entourage and drinking beer.. lovely Sunday night!) and a few travelly things. Was nice to have a gift to open on the day, even if it was wrapped in a plastic bag!

Yesterday Rich, Noelle, Tom, Vijay (Rich's random friend from the first match), the boy Noelle tutors at SBT, Rajiv's son and his friend and I all went to the cricket - India vs Sri Lanka! It was a few of us' first cricket match live so we were half excited half expecting it to be boring after an hour or so. But it started well, and the crowd was cool and we all had samosas for breakie. Noelle and I got felt up extremely by the female security guard to get in. Can't understand why females need such INTENSE gropage while men just walk in without the lightest of pat downs.. Was only wearing trousers and a hoodie, same as every other bloke there!!

But anyway. Play got cancelled due to poor pitch conditions but there was no official notice about it. Crowd got messy. Remember at one point seeing 4 plastic chairs, joined together, falling from the tier above us onto the pitch. We were all standing at the back under the tier so we wouldn't get hit by anything else falling down - saw some people running to the stairs have one of the banners fall on them. This site has pretty good photos - http://www.skysports.com/cricket/match_report/0,19822,11066_84177,00.html - we are actually in the last one, you can see Rich's and Vijay's hats (and also their bodies.. but we recognised them through hats!!)

Today I left work after lunch as Afzal didn't want class (we had class on Fri and Sat so 2 days off for weekend seemed fair enough..), and decided to get the bus home to save me Rs70 and it's generally quite quick. However no bus came. Neither of the buses Noelle had pointed out to me arrived at the bus stop. And I waited half an hour. Normally you only have to wait 5mins for the millions of buses to show up. So I hopped on the metro to the stop next to the bus stop where we caught a bus home no Sunday. No luck there either after half an hour.. So I randomly jumped on one and decided to get off when it veered off the path - praising my sense of direction! But as luck would have it, the bus was so packed I didn't have to pay, and it arrived directly outside the house! And sure for 80% of the journey someone was touching my bum, but it did make a nice change to the beggars and sellers that attack every rickshaw I get into at every stop on the way home. I did not hear a "mam?" once!

Now it's 4pm and I was supposed to be back by 2pm to call up some hostels, and my phone is out of battery and I am hell tired, but it's all good. I will see how my Hindi is trying to book these places... wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment