Saturday, December 5, 2009

No bags plz

Visited Akshardahm yesterday (see http://www.akshardham.com/), no bags allowed in so had to leave my lovely pink camera behind, very sad. I walked around the temple the wrong way and only realised once I was half way around.. little embarrassing but I had been in the country less than 24hours so I forgave myself. I got cornered in the loos (when I needed a break from the stares!) by a group of girls and women asking my name and where I was from and it was pretty strange.. although I am sure I have done similarish things to tourists in Australia..but hopefully I have been a bit less intrusive!

After the temple I caught my first autoriskshaw back to the house (Rajiv flagged one down for me and bargained my fare for the journey there), and that was pretty intense and I was a little nervous. But for some reason still sure that I was going to be perfectly fine. And I was.

Word on autorickshaws:
- Invest in hair tie if hair longer than mine. Or shorter. Or if you have any hair at all.
- Buy a scarf - breeze gets very cold in late afternoon, and I don't have one yet, maybe tomorrow?
- Wear sports bar. Stupidly I am wearing crappy old bras that have no resistance against the madness that are the streets of Delhi. Next time I will be prepared.

In the evening went on a brief walk to a fruit stall with Noelle for .. fruit .. through a nice park that I might go to tomorrow to read a bit, depending on how I feel. Oh the freedom!!

Today I tried the porridge which is intensely sweet - almost prefer the spicy rice for breakfast! But it's filling and easy to eat when just rolled out of bed. Had lunch with Noelle at a nice restaurant in a sweet shop (??) 5mins walk away, potato and cauliflower curry, really really delicious! Totally the right amount of spicy.

Had ice in my drink.

Paranoid a little, but going with the flow.

It was a nice drink.

Then this afternoon we took an auto to the house of India's first prime minister which is quite massive.. it had the history of him and the troubles in India before the British left which was really interesting - I had no idea beforehand which is a bit sad, how little I know about the world! Some of it was quite awful and it does make you stop but then the spirit behind the speeches at that time and the letters by him is so uplifting, was a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

There was a planetarium around the corner that he had built (bit random?), so we went in for the show, filled with school kids! Was a bit shonky but cool nonetheless!

I'm thinking about doing a weekend trip to Amritsar either this weekend or the next. Luckily managed to remember my train login and password so I can access my reservations and make new ones!! Yay!

Anyway I am now going because my lovely Dave is on facebook and I miss him a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment