Tuesday, December 15, 2009

First day volunteering

http://www.salaambaalaktrust.com/ is the volunteer organisation I am with. Had the first day with the boys today and it was just amazing. They are so welcoming and friendly even though they didn't know me, and trying to learn English and teach me Hindi and ask me to help them read or play with them and to shake out my hair.. and all so supportive of each other. One of the boys, Rajiv, that I was talking to a lot was commenting on 2 other boys who were drawing on the board, saying how one was so talented and he wanted to be an artist or photographer, and the other wanted to be a dancer and singer - they really encourage these arty things here for expression and FUN because the stories behind each of them.. anyway I asked Rajiv what he wanted to do when he grew up and he said he didn't know yet, and I told him I didn't know either (he laughed, in a nice way though I think...?? :P). Then I asked what he enjoyed, like did he like drawing or writing or the computer work they do, and he said he really liked friendship. Which is such a strange answer to the question but considering how many of these kids have lost their families and parents either by running away, or getting lost in Delhi, or through death, and then having to live on the streets or under the railway tracks until this trust comes along and offers something as basic as a place to wash and eat and play.. I don't know it's just so overwhelming how much they want to learn and enjoy their lives fully in every way they can and take every opportunity. They were just wonderful to spend the day with just reading and talking and playing (so out of breath!!).

Really can't wait for tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment